10 Linux Features Response
ZDNet have an interesting article – http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=28005&tag=nl.e539 10 features that should be in Windows by default that are in Linux.
Here are my 10 –
- SSH. Secure remote connectivity to a machine. How windows admins survive with only having VNC or Terminal server is beyond me.
- Exchange support. Out of the box Windows cannot support exchange. This is absurd. Both Linux and Mac support this out the box.
- A Web server. Being able to throw up a simple page for any reason is really handy at times.
- Syslog. To be able to capture all logs either locally or a centralised logging server.
- Top. A quick text based view on what the hell is eating up all your resources.
- VLC. To this day I still struggle with ‘Codecs’. Nightmare. Install VLC and be done with it – watch any format of video and also play MP3s. It is also a streaming server.
- vi / vim. Edit and notepad just does not cut the mustard.
- KVM. Virtual machine support out of the box.
- LVM. Built in enterprise class volume management system.
- Firefox. Yes, yes I know that windows has a browser… but it is shit.